the Black Dog

I'm a regular guy and most days, I'm pretty okay. Some days, I battle depression. I've always been fond of Winston Churchill's reference to this as his "black dog" - proof to me that even great men battle their demons and that a productive and even happy life is not impossible with the occasional bout with the Black Dog. Here then is where I battle mine.

Friday, September 09, 2011

Tentpole

So it's my job to be the tentpole. I learned this job from my father. Everyone seems to need for me to keep them up and to never let their worlds seem fragile.

I started to say to my wife today that the burden was a little too heavy right now. My mom has been diagnosed with cancer. I have some sort of something in me that may need surgical investigation. Funds are always an issue. The whole family is stressed about something.

But honestly, it is too much for her too.

Who do I see when it's too much for me and no one can handle it when I break?

What did men do when it wasn't okay to be whiney weaklings like me?

My Dad always says "Drive On"

So I guess I'll just do that. Carry on.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Glad to see that you're back!

We all can't be perfect blocks of stone all the time. I hope better days are ahead for you. Hang in there.

Sapphyre said...

Hi... you probably need to find someone outside your family to talk to, preferably a professional. {Hugs}

Lydia La La said...

I'm presuming you live in the USA? Times are very hard there with more and more gov. control coming in. If you need any help with planning financial stuff or ideas on saving money or even a little on gardening; let me know. I'm an older woman who has been there and done it and come out the other end pretty OK. Just leave a comment on my blog if you like. no charge or anything stupid like that either..
sometimes depression is really huge worries and sadness. You can find ways to help your Mum by natural healing on line. Chemo and radiation are horrendous and money makers for Big Pharma.