the Black Dog

I'm a regular guy and most days, I'm pretty okay. Some days, I battle depression. I've always been fond of Winston Churchill's reference to this as his "black dog" - proof to me that even great men battle their demons and that a productive and even happy life is not impossible with the occasional bout with the Black Dog. Here then is where I battle mine.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

I have a problem saying no

My wife just asked if we could go take the kids out to dinner. And I said no, we couldn’t afford it.

And now I am suddenly in the black dog’s clutches. Over a little thing. Money is tight and I’m trying to be conservative but we can pay the rent and all. It kills me to say no. I hate letting everyone down. And I know that’s stupid. But it makes me feel like a failure when I can’t say yes.

No comments: